Church Logo


Affiliation: Blacksburg First Church of God is affiliated with the Church of God Reformation Movement, whose General Assembly meets annually in Anderson, Indiana.  Some highlights of our beliefs are described below. Some summary information is provided by a Wikipedia article.  To learn more about the beliefs and history of the Church of God click on the logo at right.

Beliefs:

Our Pastor:  David Ansley has been our pastor since 2007.  He is a graduate of Anderson University in 2005 with a Master of Divinity.  David is a graduate of Virginia Tech (MS in Industrial and Systems Engineering, 1991).  David worked in human resources for several years before being called to ministry.  He has served previously as a Music Minister at a congregation in Indianapolis, and as the Interim Pastor at Grandview Church of the Brethren in Pendleton, IN and at Anderson Church of the Brethren in Anderson, IN.  (Click on David's picture to send him an e-mail.)

Local History:  The congregation formed in 1952 in order to serve God and particularly serve what was then known as “VPI”.  To accomplish that objective, the congregation was intentionally located close to Virginia Tech.  Our original church building was at the corner of Draper and Roanoke Streets (where the 7-11 store is today).  That building was destroyed by fire in 1958.  Our current building at 110 E. Roanoke St. was built in 1902 by Blacksburg Presbyterian and sold to us in 1959.  The only items to survive the fire are our current communion table and a some beams which were fashioned into the cross which hangs at the front of the Sanctuary.  (You can read more about the early history of Blacksburg churches here.)